Processed by: Archives Staff ; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
Transylvania University records
University of Kentucky Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40506
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Transylvania University records, 1795-1826, 1FM-36, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
2 Reels of microfilm.
Chartered as a public school by the Virginia Assembly in 1780 as Transylvania Seminary, the institution, renamed Transylvania University in 1799, was the first college west of the Allegheny Mountains. Located in Lexington, Ky, Transylvania ranks among the elite small colleges as a distinguished liberal arts institution. As an educational pioneer, Transylvania played a significant role in developing the trans-Allegheny West and was the first college west of the Alleghenies to have a medical school (1817). Among its founding trustees were noted leaders such as Isaac Shelby, the first governor of Kentucky, George Rogers Clark, the Revolutionary War hero who won the Northwest from the British and Henry Clay. National Leaders such as George Washington and John Adams were included in the list of initial contributors.
This microfilm collection of records is a copy of Transylvania founding documents from the Shane collection in the Presbyterian Historical Society, Philadelphia, Pa. Included are minutes from trustees meetings (1795-1826), a list of trustees, a list of meeting places of the board of trustees and resolutions passed by the trustees. Some financial records are present, including a record of pledges (1795) which lists George Washington, John Adams, John Jay amd Aaron Burr among the donors.
Originals: Presbyterian Historical Society, 520 Witherspoon Building, Philadelphia, Pa.
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org