The KDL is under construction

University of Kentucky materials are on ExploreUK. This item: Image 14 of Inventory of the County Archives of South Carolina, Number 41 Saluda County (Saluda).

Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Image 14 of Inventory of the County Archives of South Carolina, Number 41 Saluda County (Saluda)

Part of South Carolina Works Progress Administration Publications

- 5 - (First entry, p. 28) Historical Sketch At the beginning of the Revolutionary War, this section was perhaps more thickly settled than any other part of what was later to become Edge- field County. In the neighborhood of Big Creek, near Butler Methodist Church, was the home of the Butler family, whose founder, Captain James Butler, is said to have co e from Prince William Cou ty, Virginia, a few years before the Revolutionary War. General William Butler, his son, and a long line of Butlers, are closely linked with the history of the state as well as of the section which is now Saluda. Butlersfought in the Revolu tionary skirmishes of Mount Willing, The Ridge and Saluda Old Town. Per- haps the most noted fight was on C1oud's Creek in 1781 between the Butlers and Whigs on one side and "B1oody" Bill Cunningham and Tories on the other. (Chapman, Edgefield, pp. 50-46, 55; The State, Columbia, S. C., July 29, 1896, p. 2.) _ Zoar Methodist Church, the oldest in this section of the state, was or- ganized prior to the Revolution. The first building, made of logs, was known as Persimmon Creek Church, from the nearby stream. Here worshipped Zachary * Smith Brooks of the Revolution, grandfather of Preston Smith Brooks who later caned Charles Sumner on the floor of the United States Senate. (Chapman, Edgefield, pp. 47, 48, 50, 296-97.) The Red Bank Baptist Church, established in 1784, is the oldest Baptist church in the cou ty (Leah Townsend, South Carolina Baptists, Florence, 1955, p. 148). Rev. James Foy Peterson, who cane to it in 1856, was pastor for forty-two years, and around his monument later the county seat of Saluda was built (The State, July 50, 1896, pp. 1, 5). After the Revolutionary War, Ninety-Six District was sub-divided in 1785 into six counties, of which Edgefield, including the present area of Saluda Cou ty, was one (Stat. IV, 661). In 1800 Edgefield Cou ty became the terri- torial basis for Edgefield District (Stat. VII, 284). Up to the time Saluda Cou ty was created, the area had produced three generals and five colonels who served in actual war, two United States senators, two governors, two con- gressmen and one judge (The State, July 29, 1896, p. 2). This section was also the birthplace of men who died in the war of 1812, and in the Mexican War (Wallace, History of S. C., III, 111; Chapman, Edgefield, pp. 55, 108, 201). " """""" """" During the Civil War the 7th South Carolina regiment was organized at Camp Butler on April 15, 1861, and was among the first to go to Virginia (Chapman, Edgefield, p . 227-28). Milledge L. Bonham, war governor 1862-64, was brigadier general ?The Edgefield Advertiser, Feb. 12, 1936, sec. 3, p. 2). M. C. Butler, later United States senator, at the age of twenty-two became a Confederate major general. Lucinda Horne, when her husband and son enlisted in Company K, 14th S. C. Volunteers, went to camp with them and served until the close of the war. She followed them in Stonewall Jackson's hard marches and cooked for the soldiers; in winter quarters she took in washing. After each battle she ministered to the wounded and dying in the field hospital. At a regimental reunion which she attended in Greenwood in 1891, she was elected an honorary member of the Veterans' Association, and in 1897 a monument was u veiled over her grave at Chestnut Hill. (Chapman, Edgefield, pp. 489-91; The State, August 5, 1897, p. 5.) """" I For abbreviations and explanatory notes see pages 20-22

Hosted by the University of Kentucky

Contact us: kdl-help@lsv.uky.edu

Contributors: