Shelley-Shugart Family Collection
Kentucky Historical Society. Special Collections & Archives. Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-1931
Access at KHS only. Use microfilm, transcriptions or images when available.
[Identification of item], Shelley-Shugart Family Collection, 1863-1940, 98SC164,Library Special Collections and Archives, Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort.
9 items, .5 c.f.
The Patrons of Husbandry, more commonly known as the Grange, was a national farmers' organization founded in 1867. The first Kentucky Grange was established in Todd County in 1871. Growth was rapid and the organization was particularly strong in parts of western Kentucky. Its objectives were maintaining the laws, reducing farmers' expenses, avoiding litigation, and discontinuing the credit system. The Grange was important in improving the economic, social, and intellectual life of farmers, in pioneering equal rights for women, and in paving the way for federal railroad regulation. By the end of the 19th century, the Grange declined due to competing organizations and due to its inability to operate its many cooperatives effectively.
This collection consists of nine letters, a newspaper clipping, and a will dated 1863-1940 and associated with the Shelley and Shugart families of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Texas. Most of the letters discuss family news and information about family genealogy. One letter, dated Sparta (Tennessee) Feb. 6, 1863, discusses the opinion that the South would win its independence. Another, dated 1874, concerns the Grange farmers' organization in Clinton County, Kentucky, and how it allows women the same rights as men. The Shelley women were involved with the Grange as secretary and head female officer. The newspaper clipping concerns Rev. E.A. Shugart of the Holston Conference, M.E. Church, South. Also included is the will of Sarah J. Shelley dated Spetember 3, 1940. Other names represented are W.H. Shugart, M. Shugart, A. Davis, V. Davis, W.M. Shelley, M.A. Shelley, Mary R. Davis, Peter Shelley, Jane Shelley, and Thomas H. Shelley.
Permission for commercial use must be requested from the Kentucky Historical Society Special Collections.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org