Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture, 1960-1974

item | details | guide | pdf

Author

Finding aid prepared by Jason Flahardy

Title

Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture

Date

1960-1974

Repository

University of Kentucky Special Collections

Conditions Governing Access note

Collection is open to researchers by appointment

Preferred Citation Note

2003av005: [identification of item], Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture, University of Kentucky Special Collections.

Extent

1.0 Cubic feet

4 boxes, 394 items

Abstract

The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of the photographic records created by The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation of houses under consideration for their advocacy during the 1960 to 1974 period.

Biography/History

The Bluegrass Trust for Historic Preservation was founded in 1955 as a not-for-profit advocate for Lexington, Kentucky and the surrounding counties that comprise Central Kentucky. It is the fourteenth oldest preservation organization in the United States of America. Bluegrass Trust raises funds for the purchase and restoration of historic houses, among them, The Hunt-Morgan House, Dudley House, Henry Clay’s Law Office, and the Mary Todd Lincoln House. Bluegrass Trust also coordinates a plaque program for the identification of structures of historic interest in Lexington and Central Kentucky. The plaques bear a stylized “BGT” logo, which is also a common abbreviation for the organization. http://bluegrasstrust.org/

Scope and Content

The Carolyn Murray-Wooley collection on Lexington, Kentucky residential architecture consists of 395 gelatin silver prints of residences and structures, 1960-1974, related to the activities of the Blue Grass Trust for Historic Preservation; most are images of houses in Lexington/Fayette County Kentucky and identified by address.

Subjects

  • Photographs
  • Murray-Wooley, Carolyn
  • Historic buildings--Kentucky--Lexington.
  • Historic preservation--Kentucky.
  • Residential architecture

Collection Inventory

East 2nd [Second] street
115 East 2nd [Second] street. Built by Matthew Kennedy for Hanna Baxter in 1831, sold to George H. Hancock March 11, 1861
[Box: 1, Item: 1] browse
121 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1817
[Box: 1, Item: 2] browse
124 East 2nd [Second] street. Kennedy-Brand house built in 1813
[Box: 1, Item: 3] browse
135 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1838 by Thomas K. Layton. House was sold by Layton's heirs in 1963 to Sarah Aubrey. Bought by Thomas P. Dudley in 1869
[Box: 1, Item: 4] browse
145 East 2nd [Second] street. Built by John W. Patterson in 1843 and bought by William "King" Solomon January 18, 1860
[Box: 1, Item: 5] browse
151 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in the 1840's, owned by Smith Burton and Harry Miller
[Box: 1, Item: 6] browse
155 East 2nd [Second] Street. Built before 1818 by Kennedy and Brand. Owned by David A. Sayre and Stephen G. Sharp
[Box: 1, Item: 7] browse
158 East 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1828 by John Wirt. In 1866 his heirs sold the house to Moses Spencer
[Box: 1, Item: 8] browse
220 East 2nd [Second] street. Antebellum house built before 1855
[Box: 1, Item: 9] browse
224 East 2nd [Second] street. Antebellum house built before 1855
[Box: 1, Item: 10] browse
230 East 2nd [Second] street. Thomas Brady house built in 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 11] browse
West 2nd [Second] street
251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps view from street
[Box: 1, Item: 12] browse
251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps and column detail
[Box: 1, Item: 13] browse
251West 2nd [Second] street. Lexington Public Library Central Branch, built in 1906 due to a gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Currently the Carnegie Center for Literacy and Learning; steps and column detail
[Box: 1, Item: 14] browse
201-203 West 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1812 by Samuel Long, owned by Charles Wilkins
[Box: 1, Item: 15] browse
211 West 2nd [Second] street. Built in 1814 also the rear portion of the Bodley house
[Box: 1, Item: 16] browse
226 West 2nd [Second] street. The Robert Wickliffe house, built around 1841
[Box: 1, Item: 17] browse
320 West 2nd [Second] street, view from street. Built either in the late 1700's for Colonel Thomas Hart or in the early 1800's for David Dodge
[Box: 1, Item: 18] browse
320 West 2nd [Second] street, side view. Built either in the late 1700's for Colonel Thomas Hart or in the early 1800's for David Dodge
[Box: 1, Item: 19] browse
331 West 2nd [Second] street. Owned by Emma Ford Walker
[Box: 1, Item: 20] browse
437 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for Thomas January in the early 1800's. Became the Episcopal Theological Seminary in 1834 and was remodelled by John McMurtry in 1849
[Box: 1, Item: 21] browse
454 West 2nd [Second] street. Remodeled in late 19th century
[Box: 1, Item: 22] browse
457 West 2nd [Second] street. Designed and built by John McMurtry. Not antebellum
[Box: 1, Item: 23] browse
461 West 2nd [Second] street, close left side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added
[Box: 1, Item: 24] browse
461 West 2nd [Second] street, distant right side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added
[Box: 1, Item: 25] browse
461 West 2nd [Second] street, distant left side view. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added
[Box: 1, Item: 26] browse
461 West 2nd [Second] street, front view from street. John Ward lived here beginning in 1846, but gave the house to the Episcopal church in 1860 for a rectory. Has been remodeled with a new front and a third story added
[Box: 1, Item: 27] browse
468 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for William R. Davis in 1846
[Box: 1, Item: 28] browse
471 West 2nd [Second] street. Built for Richard Pindell in 1839
[Box: 1, Item: 29] browse
East 3rd [Third] street
100 East 3rd [Third] street
[Box: 1, Item: 30] browse
114 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by Joseph T. Sutton after 1841, sold to Jacob White in 1843
[Box: 1, Item: 31] browse
118 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for William S. Keiser in 1841, sold to John Prather in 1844
[Box: 1, Item: 32] browse
120 East 3rd [Third] street
[Box: 1, Item: 33] browse
122 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Jacob Uttinger in 1839
[Box: 1, Item: 34] browse
126 East 3rd [Third] street, view from right side. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839
[Box: 1, Item: 35] browse
126 East 3rd [Third] street, view from left side. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839
[Box: 1, Item: 36] browse
126 East 3rd [Third] street, front view. Built by Jacob Uttinger who sold lot to Thomas Bradley in 1839
[Box: 1, Item: 37] browse
138 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by and for Frederick Bush in 1847
[Box: 1, Item: 38] browse
140 East 3rd [Third] street. Built by Evan Lilly for William B. Emmal in 1844 or 1845
[Box: 1, Item: 39] browse
146 East 3rd [Third] street, distant right side view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe
[Box: 1, Item: 40] browse
146 East 3rd [Third] street, left side view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe
[Box: 1, Item: 41] browse
146 East 3rd [Third] street, close right side view . Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe
[Box: 1, Item: 42] browse
146 East 3rd [Third] street, front view. Built in 1847 by George W. Brush and purchased in 1849 by Daniel C. Wickliffe
[Box: 1, Item: 43] browse
147 East 3rd [Third] street
[Box: 1, Item: 44] browse
218 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Augustus Barley in 1848, sold to Caleb F. Lilly in 1850
[Box: 1, Item: 45] browse
234-236 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for Rebecca Spiller in 1845
[Box: 1, Item: 46] browse
242 East 3rd [Third] street. Built for James Sullivan in 1840
[Box: 1, Item: 47] browse
252-254 East 3rd [Third] street
[Box: 1, Item: 48] browse
West 3rd [Third] street
301 West 3rd [Third] street. Morrison Hall. Built 1830-34 by Gideon Shyrock
[Box: 1, Item: 49] browse
West 3rd [Third] street. Log cabin built by Colonel Robert Patterson around 1780
[Box: 1, Item: 50] browse
304 West 3rd [Third] street. Built for Caleb Ford in 1841. Originally faced Mill Street, but was enlarged and remodeled to face 3rd street in 1895 for Mrs. J. Hull Davidson. Transylvania College president Burris Jenkins lived there from 1901-06
[Box: 1, Item: 51] browse
318 West 3rd [Third] street. Moved to this location and enlarged for Henry Cassell in 1817
[Box: 1, Item: 52] browse
322 West 3rd [Third] street. Built for Thomas January by Luther Stevens and Hallet M. Winslow around 1817
[Box: 1, Item: 53] browse
553 West 3rd [Third] street
[Box: 1, Item: 54] browse
East 4th [Fourth] street
119 East 4th [Fourth] street. Purchased by Robert McNitt in 1814. Remodeled into a double house for Francisco Wolf after 1870
[Box: 1, Item: 55] browse
149 East 4th [Fourth] street. Built for Hugh Carlan in 1814
[Box: 1, Item: 56] browse
203 East 4th [Fourth] street. Elmside or Elmwood house, built for either William Moses Brand in 1829, or George B. Kinkead in 1856. Extensively remodeled around 1900
[Box: 1, Item: 57] browse
West 4th [Fourth] street
124 West 4th [Fourth] street
[Box: 1, Item: 58] browse
477 West 4th [Fourth] street
[Box: 1, Item: 59] browse
519 West 4th [Fourth] street
[Box: 1, Item: 60] browse
627 West 4th [Fourth] street. The Lunatic Asylum or Eastern State Hospital. Built in 1817
[Box: 1, Item: 61] browse
West 6th [Sixth] street
450 West 6th [Sixth] street. Built for John H. Robb before 1835. Sold to John Gibbs 1839. Enlarged and remodeled in 1866 for John B. Wallace
[Box: 1, Item: 62] browse
East 7th [Seventh] street
127 East 7th [Seventh] street. Built in mid 1800's
[Box: 1, Item: 63] browse
135 East 7th [Seventh] street
[Box: 1, Item: 64] browse
Barr
165 Barr. Built for Augustus Hall in 1844, sold a year later to Elizabeth N. and Victoria A. Payne
[Box: 1, Item: 65] browse
Bellaire
631 Bellaire. Built for Daniel Holsted in 1814
[Box: 1, Item: 66] browse
North Broadway
122-124 North Broadway. Built mid 1800's
[Box: 1, Item: 67] browse
180 North Broadway. Built by John McMurtry and purchased by Dr. James Fishback in 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 68] browse
182 North Broadway. Built by and for Stephan Chipley in 1838. John McMurtry acquired and sold it to Dr. Samuel Annan in 1846
[Box: 1, Item: 69] browse
192 North Broadway. Mid 1800's
[Box: 1, Item: 70] browse
231 North Broadway. Built by and for Thomas K. Layton in 1839. Enlarged for John S. Clark after 1882
[Box: 1, Item: 71] browse
239 North Broadway, left side view. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852
[Box: 1, Item: 72] browse
239 North Broadway, left side view, duplicate. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852
[Box: 1, Item: 73] browse
239 North Broadway, distant front view. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852
[Box: 1, Item: 74] browse
239 North Broadway, close front view. Built for Thomas K. Layton in 1839 then purchased by Allen H. Clark in 1842, then Robert B. Hamilton in 1852
[Box: 1, Item: 75] browse
247 North Broadway. Built for John B. Tilford in 1845. Sold to Thomas Davis Carneal in 1850
[Box: 1, Item: 76] browse
263 North Broadway. May have been built for Persickless Scott in 1840
[Box: 1, Item: 77] browse
301 North Broadway. Built for Josiah Ennis about 1840
[Box: 1, Item: 78] browse
309 North Broadway. Built by and for John Holmes after 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 79] browse
315 North Broadway, distant front view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 80] browse
315 North Broadway, right side view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 81] browse
315 North Broadway, left side view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 82] browse
315 North Broadway, close front view. Built by John Holmes for Josiah Ennis about 1838
[Box: 1, Item: 83] browse
331 North Broadway. Built by and for Perry W. Gaugh in 1841
[Box: 1, Item: 84] browse
335 North Broadway, right side view. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841
[Box: 1, Item: 85] browse
335 North Broadway, right side view, duplicate. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841
[Box: 1, Item: 86] browse
335 North Broadway, left side view. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841
[Box: 1, Item: 87] browse
335 North Broadway, front view. Built for William Newberry, purchased soon after by Jabez Beach in 1841
[Box: 1, Item: 88] browse
556 North Broadway. Built before 1844 when house was sold by Mary K. Boswell to Robert Peter
[Box: 1, Item: 89] browse
900 North Broadway. Built for James B. January in 1814. Purchased by Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley in 1836
[Box: 1, Item: 90] browse
904 North Broadway. Fairlawn, built for Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley during the 1850's
[Box: 1, Item: 91] browse
South Broadway
308 South Broadway, close front view
[Box: 1, Item: 92] browse
308 South Broadway, distant front view
[Box: 1, Item: 93] browse
331 South Broadway, distant front view
[Box: 1, Item: 94] browse
331 South Broadway, close front view
[Box: 1, Item: 95] browse
352 South Broadway. May have been built by John McMurtry for the daughter of Dr. Elisha Warfield for use of his daughter, Laura R. Rodgers in the 1840's
[Box: 1, Item: 96] browse
355 South Broadway. Built for C. L. and Elizabeth Worley after 1861
[Box: 1, Item: 97] browse
361 South Broadway. Built by John McMurtry and sold to Edward McMurray in 1845
[Box: 1, Item: 98] browse
366 South Broadway
[Box: 1, Item: 99] browse
367 South Broadway. Built between 1855-64
[Box: 1, Item: 100] browse
370 South Broadway
[Box: 2, Item: 101] browse
420 South Broadway
[Box: 2, Item: 102] browse
432 South Broadway. John McMurtry house
[Box: 2, Item: 103] browse
1099 South Broadway. Gatehouse of Ingelside. Built by John McMurtry for Henry Boone Ingels in 1852
[Box: 2, Item: 104] browse
Bullock
715 Bullock. Built for James Masterson in 1790
[Box: 2, Item: 105] browse
Corral
311 Corral
[Box: 2, Item: 106] browse
342 Corral
[Box: 2, Item: 107] browse
345 Corral
[Box: 2, Item: 108] browse
356 Corral
[Box: 2, Item: 109] browse
365 Corral. May be mid 19th century
[Box: 2, Item: 110] browse
369 Corral. Perhaps mid 19th century
[Box: 2, Item: 111] browse
373 Corral
[Box: 2, Item: 112] browse
Loudoun House. Castlewood Park. Built in 1850 from plans of A. J. Davis by John McMurtry for A. J. Davis
[Box: 2, Item: 113] browse
530 Elm Tree lane. Was the Ida Harrison house
[Box: 2, Item: 114] browse
121 Forest avenue. Designed by Thomas Lewinski in 1845 and built as residence for James B. Clay
[Box: 2, Item: 115] browse
Georgetown
118 Georgetown. Built for James McConnell and given to John and Maria Trimble in 1825
[Box: 2, Item: 116] browse
146 Georgetown. Built for Abel Headington in 1810
[Box: 2, Item: 117] browse
147 Georgetown. Built for James Crutcher in 1847, sold to John H. Lusby in 1848
[Box: 2, Item: 118] browse
159 Georgetown. Acquired by Abraham S. Drake in 1831, remodeled for Dr. Benjamin P. Drake after 1841
[Box: 2, Item: 119] browse
167 Georgetown. Built for Mary May in 1802
[Box: 2, Item: 120] browse
173 Georgetown. Built for William Williams after 1813
[Box: 2, Item: 121] browse
219 Georgetown. Built in the mid 1800's
[Box: 2, Item: 122] browse
Goodloe
520 Goodloe. Built in the mid 1800's
[Box: 2, Item: 123] browse
522 Goodloe. Built in the mid 1800's
[Box: 2, Item: 124] browse
527 Goodloe. Built in the mid 1800's
[Box: 2, Item: 125] browse
326 Grosvenor. Built using designs by Benjamin H. Latrobe by Asa Williams for John Pope in 1811
[Box: 2, Item: 126] browse
East High street
101 East High street. Built for John Carty II in the 1830's
[Box: 2, Item: 127] browse
117 East High street. Built for John Parker in 1814
[Box: 2, Item: 128] browse
209 East High street. May have been built by John McMurtry for Jesse Bayles after 1840. Probably remodeled by John McMurtry for James Burnie Beck after 1848
[Box: 2, Item: 129] browse
224 East High street
[Box: 2, Item: 130] browse
259 East High street. May have been built by Jesse Bayles for William Wilson in 1839
[Box: 2, Item: 131] browse
425 East High street
[Box: 2, Item: 132] browse
426 East High street
[Box: 2, Item: 133] browse
West High street
102 West High street. Built for Samuel Ayres in 1810
[Box: 2, Item: 134] browse
108 West High street. May have been built for Richard Higgins before 1835 or for Dr. John C. and Samuel B. Richardson afterward. Enlarged after 1840
[Box: 2, Item: 135] browse
300 West High street. Built for Richard Higgins in 1806, sold to Thomas Wallace in 1810
[Box: 2, Item: 136] browse
302 West High street. West wing of Richard Higgins' house
[Box: 2, Item: 137] browse
316 West High street, front view. Built for John Lowman in 1808
[Box: 2, Item: 138] browse
316 West High street, left side view. Built for John Lowman in 1808
[Box: 2, Item: 139] browse
524 West High street. Built for Joseph Milward in the 1840's
[Box: 2, Item: 140] browse
528 West High street. May have been built for John C. McGoffin before 1838 or for Charles G. Young afterward
[Box: 2, Item: 141] browse
532 West High street. Built for Leavin Young after 1838
[Box: 2, Item: 142] browse
538 West High street, left side view. Built for Leavin Young after 1815. Deeded to Leavin P. Young II in 1856
[Box: 2, Item: 143] browse
538 West High street, distant right side view. Built for Leavin Young after 1815. Deeded to Leavin P. Young II in 1856
[Box: 2, Item: 144] browse
538 West High street, close right side view. Built for Leavin Young after 1815. Deeded to Leavin P. Young II in 1856
[Box: 2, Item: 145] browse
628 West High street. Built for Charles C. Young in 1845
[Box: 2, Item: 146] browse
703 West High street. Built before 1818 for Henry Watt
[Box: 2, Item: 147] browse
Jefferson
148 Jefferson. Built about 1825-30 and willed by Robert Wickliffe to daughter, Mary Howard Preston, in 1857
[Box: 2, Item: 148] browse
150 Jefferson
[Box: 2, Item: 149] browse
151-153 Jefferson. Built for Mary O. Russell in 1818
[Box: 2, Item: 150] browse
170 Jefferson. Built in mid 1800's for commercial purposes
[Box: 2, Item: 151] browse
320-322 Kilmore Court. "Cherry Grove" built before 1814 for Judge Charles Humphreys
[Box: 2, Item: 152] browse
1561 Lakewood drive. "Harmony Hall" built for John Carlisle in 1808. Remodeled late in the 1930s
[Box: 2, Item: 153] browse
Lane Allen
937 Lane Allen. Built in 1806 for Jesse Lamme
[Box: 2, Item: 154] browse
1020 Lane Allen. Built in the 1840s for Richard Allen
[Box: 2, Item: 155] browse
Lexington
266 Lexington, front view. Built for Elijah Smith after 1786. Enlarged for Joel Higgins about 1836-37. Designated Higgin's Mansion in MacGabe's city directory for 1838
[Box: 2, Item: 156] browse
266 Lexington, right side view. Built for Elijah Smith after 1786. Enlarged for Joel Higgins about 1836-37. Designated Higgin's Mansion in MacGabe's city directory for 1838
[Box: 2, Item: 157] browse
319 Lexington. Built by John McMurtry for John McGauley after 1850
[Box: 2, Item: 158] browse
North Limestone
169-171 North Limestone. Built for James Haggin about 1821
[Box: 2, Item: 159] browse
173 North Limestone. Built before 1806 for Isabella Lake, sold in 1807 to John Carty, then sold to Daniel M. Troutman in 1808
[Box: 2, Item: 160] browse
177 North Limestone. Built by John Anderson in 1807
[Box: 2, Item: 161] browse
192 North Limestone. Thomas Lewinskyi built residence for Edward P. Johnson in 1846-47. Purchased by David A. Sayre in 1855, opened in 1857 as Sayre Female Institute. Dormitory added in 1908, gymnasium in 1963, and library in 1973
[Box: 2, Item: 162] browse
216 North Limestone. Built by and for architect Matthew Kennedy after 1815. Sold to John Brand in 1834
[Box: 2, Item: 163] browse
226 North Limestone, front view B&W. Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859
[Box: 2, Item: 164] browse
226 North Limestone, front door view. Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859
[Box: 2, Item: 165] browse
226 North Limestone, right side view. Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859
[Box: 2, Item: 166] browse
226 North Limestone, front side view (color). Built for Burt T. Bealert before 1859
[Box: 2, Item: 167] browse
234 North Limestone. May have been built by Matthew Kennedy and James W. Brand after 1813. Purchased by Burt T. Bealert in 1831
[Box: 2, Item: 168] browse
257 North Limestone. Built for John B. Harbin in 1838 or Martha Beard in 1840 as a store
[Box: 2, Item: 169] browse
261 North Limestone. Built for Robert Grinstead after 1809
[Box: 2, Item: 170] browse
263 North Limestone. Built for Joseph Wingate in 1813
[Box: 2, Item: 171] browse
312 North Limestone. Probably begun for James Weir before his death in 1832, but finished during early 1850's for John H. Woolfolk or Chief Justice Thomas A. Marshall
[Box: 2, Item: 172] browse
343 North Limestone. Antebellum house
[Box: 2, Item: 173] browse
349-51 North Limestone. Built in the mid 1800s
[Box: 2, Item: 174] browse
355 North Limestone. Built around 1863 for James Smith
[Box: 2, Item: 175] browse
363, 367, 371 North Limestone. Built in the 1880s by Cincinnatus Shryock
[Box: 2, Item: 176] browse
404 North Limestone. Built by and for John Leiby in the early 1800s. Nathaniel G. S. Hart bought it in 1809
[Box: 2, Item: 177] browse
422 North Limestone. Built for William Wiseman in the 1840's and willed to Elize Wiseman in 1858. Sold in 1860 to Augustus Clark
[Box: 2, Item: 178] browse
430 North Limestone. Built on remains of William Wiseman's warehouse built in the 1820s
[Box: 2, Item: 179] browse
436 North Limestone. Built by William H. Ellis in 1860. Sold to T. Armant in 1864
[Box: 2, Item: 180] browse
626 North Limestone. Built around 1870
[Box: 2, Item: 181] browse
450 North Limestone. Built for the Reverend James McChord in 1814. In 1820, it was owned by Joseph Cabell Brekinridge
[Box: 2, Item: 182] browse
461 North Limestone. Built for John Brand in 1812
[Box: 2, Item: 183] browse
503 North Limestone. Antebellum
[Box: 2, Item: 184] browse
518 North Limestone. Built for William "Lord" Morton in 1810. Home of Cassius Marcellus Clay 1838-50. Bought by the city in 1913
[Box: 2, Item: 185] browse
535 North Limestone. Note on back: There is no 533, is this 531, 529 or 535
[Box: 2, Item: 186] browse
551 North Limestone. Antebellum
[Box: 2, Item: 187] browse
561 North Limestone. Antebellum
[Box: 2, Item: 188] browse
620 North Limestone
[Box: 2, Item: 189] browse
644 North Limestone
[Box: 2, Item: 190] browse
South Limestone
137 South Limestone. Built before 1830 for David Megowan
[Box: 2, Item: 191] browse
146 South Limestone, right side view. Built for William Geers as an inn before 1818. Purchased in 1832 by James G. McKinney, became an in again 1837 owned by James O'Mara
[Box: 2, Item: 192] browse
146 South Limestone, back view. Built for William Geers as an inn before 1818. Purchased in 1832 by James G. McKinney, became an in again 1837 owned by James O'Mara
[Box: 2, Item: 193] browse
146 South Limestone, front side view. Built for William Geers as an inn before 1818. Purchased in 1832 by James G. McKinney, became an in again 1837 owned by James O'Mara
[Box: 2, Item: 194] browse
242 South Limestone. Built for John L. Wilmot in 1844, sold to John Kennard in 1854
[Box: 2, Item: 195] browse
245 South Limestone. Built for Samuel Oldham in 1835, sold to William R. Bradford in 1839
[Box: 2, Item: 196] browse
327 South Limestone. Antebellum
[Box: 2, Item: 197] browse
343 South Limestone. Antebellum
[Box: 2, Item: 198] browse
320 Linden Walk. Built by John McMurtry in the early 1850s for William R. Elley. Sold in 1856 to John L. Carclay. Later the home of Oliver Perry Alford. Used as a fraternity and hospital in the early 1900s
[Box: 2, Item: 199] browse
1228 Lisle Road. Built by and for William McConnell during the late 1700s. Passed on to his son in 1805
[Box: 2, Item: 200] browse
341 Madison Place. Built by John McMurtry for Major Madison Conyers Johnson in 1851
[Box: 3, Item: 201] browse
155 East Main street. 1872
[Box: 3, Item: 204] browse
West Main Street
101 West Main street. May have been built for John B. Johnson during the early 1830s
[Box: 3, Item: 202] browse
126 West Main street
[Box: 3, Item: 203] browse
200 West Main street. Melodeon Hall erected in the 1840's
[Box: 3, Item: 205] browse
301 West Main street. Built for Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley in 1834 for use as a hospital
[Box: 3, Item: 206] browse
357 West Main street. Built for John Hull in 1822, sold to William Van Pelt in 1836, then sold to Nathanial Shaw in 1838
[Box: 3, Item: 207] browse
574 West Main street. Built for William Palmateer before 1812 as an inn. Purchased by Robert S. Todd in 1838
[Box: 3, Item: 208] browse
608-610 West Main street. Mid 1800s
[Box: 3, Item: 209] browse
609 West Main street, right side view. Built for John D. Milbourne in 1855
[Box: 3, Item: 210] browse
609 West Main street, front side view. Built for John D. Milbourne in 1855
[Box: 3, Item: 211] browse
611 West Main street, right side view. Perhaps built by Elisha Cravens for John D. Dillon before 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 212] browse
611 West Main street, left side view Perhaps built by Elisha Cravens for John D. Dillon before 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 213] browse
611 West Main street, front view. Perhaps built by Elisha Cravens for John D. Dillon before 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 214] browse
614 West Main street. Harrison school, built in 1849
[Box: 3, Item: 215] browse
620 West Main street. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 216] browse
623 West Main street. Built for Jasper Smith in 1821 and purchased for Henry Huckel in 1828
[Box: 3, Item: 217] browse
631 West Main street, front view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 218] browse
631 West Main street, right side view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 219] browse
631 West Main street, left side view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 220] browse
631 West Main street, left side (front) view. Built for Henry Huckel in 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 221] browse
633 West Main street. Built for Henry Ruckel in 1833
[Box: 3, Item: 222] browse
642 West Main. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 223] browse
646 West Main street
[Box: 3, Item: 224] browse
707 West Main street. May have been built for William Williams in 1805
[Box: 3, Item: 225] browse
715 West Main street. Built for Andrew Gilmore in 1850
[Box: 3, Item: 226a] browse
719 West Main street
[Box: 3, Item: 226b] browse
721 West Main street. Built for John Estes in 1842
[Box: 3, Item: 227] browse
727 West Main street. Built for Edward R. Ford in 1846, sold to Sampson Oots in 1848
[Box: 3, Item: 228] browse
731 West Main street. Built for William Montgomery in 1846
[Box: 3, Item: 229] browse
826 West Main street. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 230] browse
920 Manchester street. May have been built for Henry Hess in 1816
[Box: 3, Item: 231] browse
Market Street
160 Market street. Christ Church Cathedral designed by Thomas Lewinski and built by John McMurtry from 1846-1848
[Box: 3, Item: 232] browse
190 Market street. Built after 1794 for Dr. Frederick Ridgely and sold to Dr. Elisha Warfield in 1806
[Box: 3, Item: 233] browse
200 Market street. Built by Samuel Long for Thomas H. Pindell, who sold it to General Thomas Bodley in 1814. Daniel Vertner purchased it in 1834
[Box: 3, Item: 234] browse
216 Market street. Built for Alexander Moore in 1836
[Box: 3, Item: 235] browse
220 Market street. Built for Peter Paul II in 1816 and sold to Mrs. Jane Hathaway in 1818, then in 1835 to Alexander Moore
[Box: 3, Item: 236] browse
228 Market street. May have been built by Robert Grinstead who sold it to John Stark in 1813. Purchased by Gideon Shyrock in 1832 then later became the home of Dr. Robert Peter
[Box: 3, Item: 237] browse
248 Market street. Built for Noah McClelland in 1850's, sold to Sarah W. Sanders in 1857
[Box: 3, Item: 238] browse
249-255 Market street. Built in 1816 by Matthew Kennedy
[Box: 3, Item: 239] browse
258 Market street. Built by and for John Anderson during the 1840's
[Box: 3, Item: 240] browse
262 Market street. Built by and for John Anderson in 1834
[Box: 3, Item: 241] browse
451 1/2 East Maxwell street. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 242] browse
West Maxwell
423 West Maxwell street. Mid 1800's
[Box: 3, Item: 243] browse
429 West Maxwell street. Mid 1800's
[Box: 3, Item: 244] browse
608-618 West Maxwell street. Built after 1865
[Box: 3, Item: 245] browse
817 West Maxwell street. Built in 1851 as part of another house
[Box: 3, Item: 246] browse
North Mill
110 North Mill street. Built either for Dr. Robert C. Holland after 1833 or Dr. Lloyd Warfield in 1838
[Box: 3, Item: 247] browse
112 North Mill street. Mid 1800s
[Box: 3, Item: 248] browse
125 North Mill street. Built by M. Mathurin Giron in 1837
[Box: 3, Item: 249] browse
160 North Mill street. Owned by Dr. Benjamin W. Dudley from 1818-52
[Box: 3, Item: 250] browse
178 North Mill street, front side view. Law office of Henry Clay. Built by Stephens & Winslow for Henry Clay in 1804-1805
[Box: 3, Item: 251] browse
178 North Mill street, right side view. Law office of Henry Clay. Built by Stephens & Winslow for Henry Clay in 1804-1805
[Box: 3, Item: 252] browse
178 North Mill street, right side view. Law office of Henry Clay. Built by Stephens & Winslow for Henry Clay in 1804-1805
[Box: 3, Item: 253] browse
184 North Mill street, right side view(b&w). Built for David A. Sayre in 1816, then sold to Sarah Ward in 1832
[Box: 3, Item: 254] browse
184 North Mill street, front side view. Built for David A. Sayre in 1816, then sold to Sarah Ward in 1832
[Box: 3, Item: 255] browse
184 North Mill street, right side view. Built for David A. Sayre in 1816, then sold to Sarah Ward in 1832
[Box: 3, Item: 256] browse
201 North Mill street, right side view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 257] browse
201 North Mill street, front door view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 258] browse
201 North Mill street, left side view(close up). Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 259] browse
201 North Mill street. Gazebo. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 260] browse
201 North Mill street. Gazebo, right side view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 261] browse
201 North Mill street. Gazebo, close up view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 262] browse
201 North Mill street, back side. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 263] browse
201 North Mill street, left side view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 264] browse
201 North Mill street, court yard view. Built for John Wesley Hunt in 1814
[Box: 3, Item: 265] browse
231 North Mill street. Mount Hope. Built for General John M. McCalla after 1819. Sold to Benjamin Gratz in 1824
[Box: 3, Item: 266] browse
South Mill
108-110 South Mill street. Samuel and George Trotter built a warehouse here after 1802 as an adjunct to their store at the other end of the block, southeast corner of Main street
[Box: 3, Item: 267] browse
317 South Mill street. Built in 1784 for Rev. Adam Rankin
[Box: 3, Item: 268] browse
318 South Mill street. Built by Samuel Long for Samuel Trotter in 1812. Bought by George Robertson in 1836. Split into two houses before 1886
[Box: 3, Item: 269] browse
329-331 South Mill street. Built for James Lemon in 1812 and given to daughter, Mrs. james Grooms, in 1838
[Box: 3, Item: 270] browse
337 South Mill street. Rear section built for William C. Bell before 1816. Front built for Thomas Smith in 1829
[Box: 3, Item: 271] browse
340 South Mill street. Built before 1836 when it was turned into a residence for Judge George Robertson
[Box: 3, Item: 272] browse
347 South Mill street. Built for John W. Russell in 1832
[Box: 3, Item: 273] browse
352 South Mill street. Built for Charles McPheeters in 1824
[Box: 3, Item: 274] browse
353 South Mill street. Front section may have been built for Levon Showerd before 1832 and rear section built for Mrs. Polly Laudry sometime after
[Box: 3, Item: 275] browse
359 South Mill street. Built either for William Poindexter in the 1830's or for Henry Lancaster after 1845
[Box: 3, Item: 276] browse
362 South Mill street. Built either for James Trotter after 1824 or A. S. Elliot after 1846
[Box: 3, Item: 277] browse
408 South Mill street. May be antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 278] browse
411 South Mill street. Built by and for Cornelius Welman in 1816
[Box: 3, Item: 279] browse
416-418 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836
[Box: 3, Item: 280] browse
416-418 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836
[Box: 3, Item: 281] browse
422-426 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836
[Box: 3, Item: 282] browse
422-426 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836
[Box: 3, Item: 283] browse
422-426 South Mill street. Built for Thomas Huggins in 1836
[Box: 3, Item: 284] browse
431 South Mill street. Built after 1865, possibly by John McMurtry
[Box: 3, Item: 285] browse
432 South Mill street. Built for J. B. Wilgus in 1846
[Box: 3, Item: 286] browse
432 South Mill street. Built for J. B. Wilgus in 1846
[Box: 3, Item: 287] browse
432 South Mill street. Built for J. B. Wilgus in 1846
[Box: 3, Item: 288] browse
505 South Mill street. Built for Major William S. Dallam in 1813
[Box: 3, Item: 289] browse
515 South Mill street. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 290] browse
602 South Mill street. Built for Marnix Virden in 1818
[Box: 3, Item: 291] browse
Old Frankfort Pike
1213 Old Frankfort pike. Built by James McConnell in the late 1700's or early 1800's, or by Thomas Royle after 1806
[Box: 3, Item: 292] browse
1401 Old Frankfort pike. Built for Benjamin Bosworth after 1857
[Box: 3, Item: 293] browse
Parkers Mill Road, Rose Hill. Built before 1813
[Box: 3, Item: 294] browse
Pine Street
530 Pine street. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 295] browse
726 Pine street. Antebellum
[Box: 3, Item: 296] browse
Pine Meadow
1528 Pine Meadow
[Box: 3, Item: 297] browse
1528 Pine Meadow
[Box: 3, Item: 298] browse
1528 Pine Meadow
[Box: 3, Item: 299] browse
Richmond Road
Richmond Road, Mansfield. Commissioned by Henry Clay and designed by Thomas Lewinsky. Built in 1845 for Thomas Hart Clay
[Box: 3, Item: 300] browse
Richmond Road, Fields House. Fayette
[Box: 4, Item: 301] browse
Rose Street. Built in 1870 for James Hilary Mulligan. University of Kentucky president's house since 1917
[Box: 4, Item: 302] browse
601 Sayre avenue. Woodside. Built by William Stewart around 1840 for Henry Bell. Greatly altered in the end of the 1800's
[Box: 4, Item: 303] browse
266 East Short street. First Baptist Church, built in the 1880'
[Box: 4, Item: 304] browse
West Short Street
307 West Short street. Built after 1825. Old city Post Office
[Box: 4, Item: 305] browse
342 West Short street. Built for Purnell Bishop in 1836
[Box: 4, Item: 306] browse
357 West Short street. Built for William Hearne in 1838
[Box: 4, Item: 307] browse
501 West Short street, St. Paul's Church. Designed by Pickett & Son and constructed during the mid 1860's
[Box: 4, Item: 308] browse
501 West Short street, St. Paul's Church. Designed by Pickett & Son and constructed during the mid 1860's
[Box: 4, Item: 309] browse
504 West Short street. Built in 1812
[Box: 4, Item: 310] browse
520 West Short street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 311] browse
522 West Short street. Built by Elzy Harney and Benjamin Ford in 1836. Sold to Robert King
[Box: 4, Item: 312] browse
563 West Short street. Built for James Eades about 1806
[Box: 4, Item: 313] browse
574 West Short street. Mid 1800's
[Box: 4, Item: 314] browse
575 West Short street. Built by and for Stephan Holland Reid around 1806
[Box: 4, Item: 315] browse
579 West Short street. Built by and for Stephan Holland Reid after 1812
[Box: 4, Item: 316] browse
592 West Short street. Built by Robert King for Samuel McMeekin in 1838. Owned by David McMurtry from 1854-84
[Box: 4, Item: 317] browse
601 West Short street. Built by Warren Outten or Robert King in 1840 and sold to James G. Mathers in 1841
[Box: 4, Item: 318] browse
606 West Short street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 319] browse
609 West Short street. Rear of house built by and for John Shrock before 1818. Front portion built for Charles R. Thompson in 1840
[Box: 4, Item: 320] browse
612 West Short street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 321] browse
616 West Short street. Built for Benjamin Ford in 1837
[Box: 4, Item: 322] browse
623 West Short street. Built by John McMurtry in 1844 and sold the next year to William R. Snyder
[Box: 4, Item: 323] browse
625 West Short street. Built for Thomas J. Harrison in 1843
[Box: 4, Item: 324] browse
628 West Short street. Built by John W. Russell and sold in 1836 to Charles Cullum
[Box: 4, Item: 325] browse
629 West Short street. Built for James G. Mathers in 1845
[Box: 4, Item: 326] browse
632 West Short street. Built by John W. Russell in 1836
[Box: 4, Item: 327] browse
633 West Short street. Built by and for Benjamin Ford in 1835
[Box: 4, Item: 328] browse
636 and 640 West Short street. Built by Robert King and Captain Macy Thwaits before 1840
[Box: 4, Item: 329] browse
643 West Short street. Built for Robert Wicklife, possibly by John McMurtry. Sold to Thomas Bradley in 1843
[Box: 4, Item: 330] browse
648 West Short street
[Box: 4, Item: 331] browse
700 West Short street. Built for Peter Elliot before 1853
[Box: 4, Item: 332] browse
704 West Short street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 333] browse
708 West Short street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 334] browse
712 West Short street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 335] browse
716 West Short street. Mid 1800's
[Box: 4, Item: 336] browse
Spring
387 Spring. Mid 1800's. Torn down 1975
[Box: 4, Item: 337] browse
403 Spring
[Box: 4, Item: 338] browse
423 Spring
[Box: 4, Item: 339] browse
422 Spring. Built for Henry A. Saxon in 1845
[Box: 4, Item: 340] browse
426 Spring. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 341] browse
501 Spring. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 342] browse
Sycamore/Ashland estate. Built in 1857 for James B. Clay using plans by Thomas Lewinski
[Box: 4, Item: 343] browse
Tates Creek Road
2705 Tates Creek Road. Buddy Portter or Parker
[Box: 4, Item: 344] browse
2709 Tates Creek road. Spring house. Bob Mayes Smoke house
[Box: 4, Item: 345] browse
1833 Tates Creek Road. Ware farm
[Box: 4, Item: 346] browse
Walnut
125 Walnut. Built either for Benjamin Warfield before 1844 or William H. Newberry afterward. Purchased by Peter S. Rule in 1853
[Box: 4, Item: 347] browse
174 Walnut. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 348] browse
174 Walnut. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 349] browse
174 Walnut. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 350] browse
174 Walnut. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 351] browse
174 Walnut. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 352] browse
178 Walnut. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 353] browse
345-347 Walnut. Built after 1861
[Box: 4, Item: 354] browse
351 Walnut. Built after 1861
[Box: 4, Item: 355] browse
362 Walnut. Built before 1853
[Box: 4, Item: 356] browse
327 Wilgus street. Built before 1855. May have been owned by J. McCracken
[Box: 4, Item: 357] browse
Winchester Road/Forkland. May have been owned by Jonathan Rigger or Benjamin Warfield
[Box: 4, Item: 358] browse
North Upper Street
112 North Upper street. Built for William W. Worsley before or Thomas Collins before 1851, John B. Stout in 1853, or Dr. Foster Pettit in 1859
[Box: 4, Item: 359] browse
122-124 North Upper street. Built for Dr. Walter Warfield in 1806
[Box: 4, Folder: 360] browse
171 North Upper street. Built for Thomas Bradley in 1847
[Box: 4, Item: 361] browse
200 North Upper street. Built for William E. Bain in 1854
[Box: 4, Item: 362] browse
217 North Upper street. Built for William L. Taylor after 1876
[Box: 4, Item: 363] browse
251 North Upper street. Built after 1865
[Box: 4, Item: 364] browse
265 North Upper street. St. Paul Church. Built before 1827 and remodeled in 1878 and 1906
[Box: 4, Item: 365] browse
314,316-318 North Upper street. May have been built for Samuel Owens in 1815
[Box: 4, Item: 366] browse
338 North Upper street. Antebellum
[Box: 4, Item: 367] browse
South Upper Street
118 South Upper street. Built for William Morton in 1826 and sold to W. W. Bruce in 1862
[Box: 4, Item: 368] browse
126-128 South Upper street. Built for William Morton in 1826, sold to Larkin C. and Thomas G. Randall in 1849
[Box: 4, Item: 369] browse
324 South Upper street. Built by John McMurtry for George A. Bowyer in 1846-47
[Box: 4, Item: 370] browse
327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813
[Box: 4, Item: 371] browse
327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813
[Box: 4, Item: 372] browse
327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813
[Box: 4, Item: 373] browse
327 South Upper street. Built for Thomas Pindell in 1813
[Box: 4, Item: 374] browse
328 South Upper street. Built by Thomas Ross around 1840 and sold to Richard Higgins in 1847
[Box: 4, Item: 375] browse
333 South Upper street. Built in 1817 for John P. Aldridge's Lancastrian School. Purchased in 1824 by Colonel Josiah Dunham in 1824 for a girls academy. Purchased in 1834 by Luther H. Van Doren to be used as a female seminary
[Box: 4, Item: 376] browse
340, 344 South Upper street. Built for John B. Johnson after 1839
[Box: 4, Item: 377] browse
346 South Upper street. Built for James B. Woodruff after 1837
[Box: 4, Item: 378] browse
347 South Upper street. Built for Elisha Allen in 1805
[Box: 4, Item: 379] browse
359 South Upper street. Built by and for Warner Hawkins after 1805
[Box: 4, Item: 380] browse
360 South Upper street. Built for Elizabeth Barry around 1834
[Box: 4, Item: 381] browse
361 South Upper street. Built for John Stilfield about 1805
[Box: 4, Item: 382] browse
371 South Upper street. Built for Joseph Pulliam after 1806
[Box: 4, Item: 383] browse
375-377 South Upper street. Built around 1804
[Box: 4, Item: 384] browse
417 South Upper street. May have been built by Hallett M. Winslow and Luther Stephens, who sold the lot to Jeremiah Murphy in 1839
[Box: 4, Item: 385] browse
432 South Upper street. Built either for Rebecca Whitt after 1840 or Francis B. Rust after 1851
[Box: 4, Item: 386] browse
510 South Upper street. Built for Joseph Beard in 1846
[Box: 4, Item: 387] browse
520 South Upper street. Built before 1840. Demolished 1974
[Box: 4, Item: 388] browse
520 South Upper street. Built before 1840. Demolished 1974
[Box: 4, Item: 389] browse
521-523 South Upper street. Built in the mid-1800's
[Box: 4, Item: 390] browse
526 South Upper. Built around 1838. Torndown 1974
[Box: 4, Item: 391] browse
526 South Upper. Built around 1838. Torn down 1974
[Box: 4, Item: 392]
530 South Upper. ca. 1838 Torn down 1974
[Box: 4, Item: 393] browse
530 South Upper. Pre 1838 Torn down 1974
[Box: 4, Item: 394] browse

Hosted by the University of Kentucky

Contact us: kdl-help@kdl.kyvl.org

Contributors: