kbckysx343aGuide to the Oneida Baptist Institute Records, ca. 1906-1983Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:M. PlarrSpecial CollectionsHutchins LibraryBerea CollegeBerea, KY40404 USAPhone: (859) 985-3262Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgURL: http://www.berea.edu/library/special.html Copyright 2001 Berea CollegeLibraries. All Rights Reserved.Machine-readable finding aid derived from DBase.Date of source: n.d.Description is in English.Guide to the Oneida Baptist Institute Records, ca. 1906-1983Contact InformationSpecial CollectionsHutchins Library Berea CollegeBerea, KY40404 USAPhone: (859) 985-3262Email: email@example.comURL: http://www.berea.edu/library/special.htmlProcessed by: staffDate Completed: n.d.Encoded by: M. Plarr Copyright 2001 Berea College. All Rights Reserved.Oneida Baptist Institute Records,ca. 1906-1983KYSX343-AOneida Baptist Institute44 microfilm reels; 401 itemsNo online items. Must visit contributing institution.Berea College Special CollectionsBerea, Kentucky 40404Copyright has not been assigned to Berea College. Permission to publish from the microfilmed records must by secured from the Oneida Baptist Institute or its assigns; permission to reproduce photographs must be secured from Special Collections, Berea College.[Identification of item], Oneida Baptist Institute Records, KYSX343-A, ca. 1906-1983Special Collections, Berea College, Berea, Ky.Schools, religious -- Oneida Baptist InstSchools, religious -- Oneida Baptist InstOneida, Kentucky -- Oneida Baptist InstituteClay County, Kentucky -- Community developmentClay County, Kentucky -- FarmingAppalachia -- Schools, religiousCurriculum -- Oneida Baptist InstituteOneida Baptist Institute was founded in 1899 by James Anderson Burns, an eastern Kentucky native who had attended Denison University in Ohio. He wanted to use the school at Oneida to eradicate feuding in the mountains through Christian love and through development of innate intelligence.In 1916, the Institute began operating branch schools in nearby communities. The next year, the Institute started to focus on community development by teaching better farming methods. After James Burns retired and the school was in difficulty, Associate President Sylvia Russell was appointed as director in 1922. She made the Institute solvent, increased the confidence of the community, developed a full staff, and filled the school to capacity with students.During the next few decades, the Institute remained dedicated to providing an education emphasizing academics, manual labor, and religious instruction. In the 1960s, the Institute started admitting some students from outside the Appalachian area, although most students still came from the region. Although enrollment dropped in the early 1970s, it was revived through upgrading the academic program and continuing a strong emphasis on religious instruction.These document the Institute, which is located at Oneida in Clay County, Kentucky.Related MaterialOther titles: Guide to the Oneida Baptist Institute Collection. Berea, Kentucky: Berea College, 1986.