Processed by: staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:Bonnie Cox
Kentucky University Records
Transylvania University Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40508 USA
Open to researchers.
[Identification of item], Kentucky University Records, 1857-1865, TUA 4,Special Collections, Transylvania University, Lexington.
ca. .75 cubic ft.
Kentucky University was chartered in 1858 in Harrodsburg, Kentucky, largely through the efforts of John B. Bowman. It had formerly operated as Bacon College. The institution was closely tied to the Disciples of Christ Church whose members were to comprise two-thirds of its trustees. The university's enrollment declined severely with the coming of the Civil War, and following the destruction of its principal building by fire in 1864, it was removed to Lexington, Kentucky where it merged with Transylvania University. The combined institution retained the name Kentucky University until 1908 when it was renamed Transylvania University.
This is a collection of records which document the administration of Kentucky University during the time period when it was located in Harrodsburg (1858-1865). Included are minutes, enrollment rosters, financial records, and correspondence. Materials consist of board of curators minutes (1858-1865), a session book used to record students' names (1860-1865), and various committee reports, resolutions, correspondence, and financial records (1857-1860). The correspondence present is somewhat fragmentary, but does include several letters and reports of John B. Bowman. The collection is accompanied by printed catalogs, copies of relevant legislative acts, and newsclippings. Unpublished catalog of holdings. Condition of material: fair (acid damage)
Copyright has not been assigned to Transylvania University.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org