Finding aid prepared by Archives staff; Ruth E. Bryan
Good Samaritan Hospital records
University of Kentucky Special Collections
Collection is arranged by form.
Collection is open for research.
47M84: [Identification of item], Good Samaritan Hospital records, 1889-1956, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
0.5 Cubic feet
1 box, 5 oversize folders
The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 2 folders; dated 1889-1956, bulk 1889-1928) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital, in Lexington, Ky.
The Women's Guild of Christ Church Cathedral established the Protestant Infirmary in 1888, originally housed at 333 Short Street, Lexington, Ky., the former H.H. Gratz property. In 1890, the Infirmary Board began a Nursing School, which operated through 1971. In 1899, the hospital was renamed Good Samaritan Hospital, becoming a corporation, and the Board of Governors was restructured, comprising representatives of six local Protestant churches. In 1905, after a capital campaign spearheaded by Christ Church member George Weeks, the corporation purchased property at 310 South Limestone street from W.H. McCorkle, formerly the James O. Harrison estate. In 1924, the Methodist Church took over management of the hospital and in 1982, the Good Samaritan Foundation, Inc., was established. In 1995, the Board of Trustees sold the hospital to the Columbia/HCA Healthcare Corporation. In 2007, it was purchased by the University of Kentucky HealthCare.
George S. Weeks was a banker and fundraiser in Lexington, Kentucky. He was born in Paris, Kentucky, in May 1869, where his father was rector at St. Peter's Church. He served as Vice President of Second National Bank of Lexington and Manager of Lexington Clearing House Association. He lost his sight at age 60.
UK HealthCare. About Good Samaritan Hospital. Last modified May 31, 2013. http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/gs/about/.
The Good Samaritan Hospital records (.5 cubic feet, 1 box, 5 oversize folders; dated 1889-1956) comprises a small group of records and architectural drawings from Good Samaritan Hospital in Lexington, Ky. The records include an account book of the Protestant Infirmary (1889-1897); Good Samaritan treasurer's reports (1908-1911); financial and capital campaign records (1901-1913); newspaper clippings (1929-1953); and records documenting the involvement of George Weeks and Christ Church Cathedral (Lexington, Ky.) in the hospital's finances (1956). The five sets of architectural drawings on vellum (primarily dated 1905-1906) include complete sets for the Colored Ward, Nurses House, and the Main Building (both drawn by Anderson & Faig). The drawings also include blueprints for alternations and additions to the hospital, dated June 15, 1928, and drawn by Clifford R. Reichert for Starks Building, Louisville, Ky.
Property rights reside with the University of Kentucky. The University of Kentucky holds the copyright for materials created in the course of business by University of Kentucky employees. Copyright for all other materials has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky. For information about permission to reproduce or publish, please contact Special Collections.
1997ms373, Episcopal Church. Diocese of Lexington records, University of Kentucky Special Collections.
Missing the following minutes: January 19009; September 1910; April, June, and September 1911.
Includes financial statements, 1901-1911; fundraising and capital campaign literature, 1913 and undated; annual report, Feb. 13, 1913; programs for the dedication of the Mary A. Ott Memorial, Sept. 9, 1931; an interview transcript of original capital campaign manager and Christ Church member George Weeks by Jay Jay for radio station WVLK, June 29, 1954; and minutes of the Finance Committee of the Christ Church Vestry discussing and itemizing the various named room memorial contracts/endowments at the hospital, April 28, 1956.
Includes floor and roof plans, elevations, framing, details, and utilities. Floor plans include labels indicating each room's function. This building was never built. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers.
Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers.
Plans include labels indicating each room's function. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers.
Includes proposed location (not used), floor and roof plans, elevations, framing, details, and utilities. Floor plans include labels indicating each room's function. Drawn by Anderson & Faig, architects and engineers. Fragile: turn with both hands.
Drawn by Clifford R. Reichert for Starks Building, Louisville, Ky.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org