Processed by: Archives Staff ; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
Grahamton Manufacturing Company records, 1832-1917
1837-1905 (bulk dates)
University of Kentucky Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40506
Arrangement is by type of material, then chronological.
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Grahamton Manufacturing Company records, 1832-1917, 1837-1905 (bulk dates), 1M53M18, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
The Grahamton Manufacturing Company had its beginnings in 1829 in Louisville, Ky. when a textile mill was established by Robert Graham and a Mr. Snead. The original mill was powered by steam, but Graham wanted to use water pressure. Thomas Anderson joined the partners to form Robert Graham and Company, which, in 1835, bought 335 acres in Meade County from David Brandenburg. A stone mill was built at a site named Grahamton, near Brandenburg, in 1837. That same year, the firm became Graham, Anderson and Company with the departure of Snead. In the late 1840's, Graham pulled out of the venture and the name was changed again, to the Grahamton Manufacturing Company. Anderson and his sons George and Orville continued to run the mill. About 1865, a stone flour mill was built; this venture was later abandoned and the mill used as a warehouse for the textile mill.
George Anderson managed the mill for several years until 1868, when Archibald M. Robinson bought a one-third interest and became manager. He continued as manager until his death in 1904. Hunt, Bridgeford and Company purchased the mill and sold it two years later to the McCord Company.
These are the records of the Grahamton Manufacturing Company. There are 23 time books, dating from 1847 to 1903; 30 daybooks, from 1847-1905; 13 cash books, 1849-1901; 18 ledger books, 1842-1901; and 17 volumes of invoices. There are also numerous receipts, correspondence, bills of lading, freight bills, inventories, sales orders, etc.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org