Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
Abraham Lincoln Miscellaneous Papers
The Filson Historical Society Special Collections Louisville, Kentucky 40208 USA
Conditions Governing Access note
Open to researchers.
Preferred Citation Note
[Identification of item], Abraham Lincoln Miscellaneous Papers, 1840-1864, Special Collections, The Filson Historical Society, Louisville.
Scope and Content
President of the United States, 1861-1865. Includes a 12 Apr. 1864 commission for Edmond J. Thomas as assistant quartermaster of volunteers with the rank of captain; a 6 July 1864 letter to Edwin Stanton (secretary of war) concerning the release of Private John L. Collins, prisoner of war at Camp Douglas, Ill.; a photocopy of a 27 Sept. 1840 letter to Mary Speed reporting on Joshua Speed's health, describing seeing slaves chained together aboard a ship he was on, and complaining of a toothache; facsimile of a scrapbook; a photocopy of a 1 Oct. 1856 speech on "Sectionalism," with correspondence relating to its deposit at The Filson Club; a copy of a 28 May 1860 letter to Samuel Haycraft relating family history; and a copy of the last photo taken of Lincoln with notes by Joshua Speed
- Bay, J. Christian (Jens Christian), 1871-1962.
- Buchanan, James, 1791-1868.
- Collier, Robert Joseph, b. 1876.
- Collins, John L. (Confederate prisoner at Camp Douglas)
- Dayton, William L. (William Lewis), 1807-1864.
- Douglas, Stephen A. (Stephen Arnold), 1813-1861.
- Fremont, John Charles, 1813-1890.
- Harding, Aaron, 1805-1875.
- Haycraft, Samuel, 1795-1878.
- Jones, Richard Lloyd, 1873-1963.
- Latham, Robert B., 1818-1895.
- MacKay, Clarence Hungerford, b. 1874.
- Speed, Joshua F. (Joshua Fry), 1814-1882.
- Stanton, Edwin McMasters, 1814-1869.
- Watterson, Henry, 1840-1921.
- Democratic Party (U.S.)-- History-- Sources.
- Republican Party (U.S. : 1854-)-- History-- Sources.
- Campaign literature, 1856-- Republican.
- Indians of North America-- Illinois-- History-- Sources.
- Missouri compromise.
- Presidents-- United States-- Election-- 1856-- Sources.
- Sectionalism (United States)-- History-- Sources.
- Slavery-- United States-- Extension to the territories-- History-- Sources.
- Camp Douglas (Ill.)-- History-- Sources.
- Illinois-- Politics and government-- To 1865-- Sources.
- Southern States-- History-- Sources.
- Southern States-- Politics and government-- 1775-1865-- Sources.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Causes-- Sources.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Prisoners and prisons-- Sources.