Processed by: Archives Staff ; machine-readable finding aid created by:Eric Weig
Lexington, Kentucky Board of Trustees records
University of Kentucky Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40506
Collection is open for research.
[Identification of item], Lexington, Kentucky Board of Trustees records, 1780-1815, 1VF52W22, AAM8597LM, Special Collections, University of Kentucky.
The first cabin in Lexington was built in 1775 by a party of hunters helping William McConnell establish a claim. It was named after Lexington, Massachusetts, where the first battle of the Revolutionary War had just taken place. Not until 1779, however, did the first settlers, led by Col. Robert Patterson, arrive. They built a stockade, and in the spring of 1781 laid out Main Street. They cleared and planted land, and in 1781 elected their first Board of Trustees. The first meeting of the Trustees took place on Mar. 26, 1781.
These are some early records of the Lexington, Ky. Board of Trustees. The records consist of an 1815 survey to determine the center of Main Street (52W22), and three court papers from the case of the Trustees vs. Richard Sharp (52W21), dating from 1780-1781, which detail the laying out of the town and the standards established for town lots.
Copyright has not been assigned to the University of Kentucky.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: email@example.com