TRAN1Guide to the Bacon College Records, 1836-1858Processed by: Staff; machine-readable finding aid created by:Bonnie CoxSpecial CollectionsJ. Douglas Gay Jr./Frances Carrick Thomas Library Transylvania University Lexington, Kentucky 40508 USAPhone: (859) 233-8225 Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgURL: http://www.transy.edu/ Copyright 2000 Transylvania University Libraries. All Rights Reserved.Machine-readable finding aid derived from DBase.Date of source: n.dDescription is in English.Guide to the Bacon College Records, 1836-1858Contact InformationSpecial CollectionsJ. Douglas Gay Jr./Frances Carrick Thomas Library Lexington, Kentucky 40508 USAPhone: (859) 233-8225Email: email@example.comURL: http://www.transy.edu/Processed by: StaffDate Completed: n.d.Encoded by: Bonnie Cox Copyright 2000 Transylvania University. All Rights Reserved.Bacon College Records,1836-1858TUA 3Bacon College2.5 cubic feetNo online items. Must visit contributing institution.Transylvania University Special CollectionsLexington, Kentucky 40508 USAOpen to researchers. Copyright has not been assigned to Transylvania University.[Identification of item], Bacon College Records, TUA3,Special Collections, Transylvania University, Lexington.Bacon CollegeBowman, John B.,1824-1891Lecture notesMinutesTaylor, James, 1798?-1876?Universities and colleges -- Kentucky -- FinanceUniversities and colleges -- Kentucky -- GeorgetownUniversities and colleges -- Kentucky -- HarrodsburgBacon College Board of TrusteesFund raising -- Kentucky -- HarrodsburgHatch, SamuelHistorical note: Bacon College was chartered in 1837 in Georgetown, Kentucky. Its founder was Thornton F. Johnson, a member of the Disciples of Christ who resigned from Georgetown College in order to establish an institution independent of the Baptists who administered Georgetown. Bacon College moved to Harrodsburg, Kentucky in 1839 and graduated its first students two years later. Suffering from limited financial resources throughout its existence, the college closed in 1850 having granted only twenty-four degrees while in operation. The campus was used as a high school from 1850 to 1855. It was revived through the efforts of alumnus, John B. Bowman and was rechartered in 1858 as Kentucky University.This is a collection of records from Bacon College in Georgetown and Harrodsburg, Kentucky. They document the general administration of the college. |b Materials include board of trustees minutes (1837-1858) accompanied by miscellaneous correspondence, committee reports, and financial records. Minutes from 1855 to 1858 primarily relate to the efforts of John B. Bowman and James Taylor to reestablish the college following its 1850 closing. |b Other records include a treasurers book detailing student enrollments and fee payments (1837-1839); various subscription lists reflecting donations to several college funds (1842-1850); matriculation records (1840-1850); lecture outlines of Professor Samuel Hatch; and various receipts.Arrangement is chronological.