Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Bryan's Station Survey Records, 1802, 1802

Part of Bryan's Station Survey Records, 1802

details | guide | text
86SC13Guide to Bryan's Station Survey Records, 1802Archives StaffSpecial CollectionsSpecial CollectionsKentucky History CenterKentucky Historical Society100 W. BroadwayFrankfort, Kentucky 40601-1931 USAPhone: (502) 564-1792, ext.4470Fax: (502) 564-4701URL: http://history.ky.gov/Kentucky Historical SocietyText converted and initial EAD tagging provided by Apex Data Services, April 2000.ENGGuide to Bryan's Station Survey Records, 1802Contact InformationSpecial CollectionsKentucky History CenterKentucky Historical Society100 W. BroadwayFrankfort, Kentucky 40601-1931 USAPhone: (502) 564-1792, ext.4470Fax: (502) 564-4701URL: http://history.ky.gov/Processed by: StaffDate Completed: n.d.Encoded by: Apex Data Services Copyright 2000 Kentucky Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.Bryan's Station Survey Records, 180286SC13Higgins, Richard 2 items (1 folder), .1 c.f.Kentucky Historical Society. Special Collections & Archives. Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-1931Access at KHS only. Use microfilm, transcriptions or images when available.For microfilmed copies see Clift number(s): 0126 (A)Permission for commercial use must be requested from the Kentucky Historical Society. Special Collections.[Identification of item], Bryan's Station Survey Records, 1802, 86SC13,Library Special Collections and Archives, Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort.Stations were a type of defensible residential structure common during Kentucky's early settlement period. Most stations were built to defend against Indian attacks, but the characteristics of each were unique to the frontier settlement it served. Most of the structures consisted of residential cabins located inside of a stockade-type shelter. All were located at or near freshwater springs, and most were made from the abundant timber found in Kentucky's forests. Each station was identified with an individual person or family, usually the ones that owned the land upon which the station was built. Stations often sheltered more than one family, although most of the inhabitants were related by blood in some way. Visitors were usually made welcome and given shelter, and eventually the stations became the center of the local area's social, legal, and financial life.Bryan's Station was built in 1779 by the Bryan brothers, William, Morgan, James, and Joseph. It was located on the south bank of the Elk Creek, five miles northeast of the Lexington fort. It was a forty-four (44) cabin stockade, with a 2-story blockhouse.This group has a survey map and document, which were filed in Lexington District Court in 1802 in a dispute over lands that were part of the Bryan's Station settlement in Fayette County, Kentucky. The survey apparently was made by Richard Higgins and was filed in the case of William Bledsoe vs. the heirs of William Tandy. The survey and map claim to show parts of the station as they were in 1780.Arrangement: Original orderVariant Name: Richard Higgins Survey DocumentsCounty: FayetteLegal Documents

Hosted by the University of Kentucky

Contact us: kdl-help@kdl.kyvl.org

Contributors: