Fort Jefferson (KY) Collection
Kentucky Historical Society. Special Collections & Archives. Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-1931
Access at KHS only. Use microfilm, transcriptions or images when available.
[Identification of item], Fort Jefferson (KY) Collection, ca. 1900, 98SC154,Library Special Collections and Archives, Kentucky Historical Society, Frankfort.
3 items, .5 c.f.
Fort Jefferson, Kentucky was constructed in 1780 under the supervision of George Rogers Clark near the confluence of Mayfield Creek and the Mississippi River in present-day Ballard County. The fort served as a major supply link with New Orleans for Clark's Illinois battalion.
This collection consists of an undated, Fort Jefferson Improvement Company circular advertising the development of Fort Jefferson, Kentucky, as the "new Chicago of the South." It states that J.C. DuPoyster is the general manager of the company and it is signed by George M. Jackson. Also included are two photographs of a Spanish map of settlements in the southern United States.
Hosted by the University of Kentucky
Contact us: email@example.com