Processed by: Processed by; machine-readable finding aid created by:Encoded by
George Barry Bingham Papers
The Filson Historical Society Special Collections Louisville, Kentucky 40208 USA
Conditions Governing Access note
Collection is restricted.
Preferred Citation Note
[Identification of item], George Barry Bingham Papers, 1861-1989, Special Collections, The Filson Historical Society, Louisville.
60 cubic ft.
Scope and Content
Newspaper publisher and philanthropist. Papers include personal correspondence; subject files containing information on charitable organizations, Bingham's service as Economic Cooperation Administration Chief in France, the Courier-Journal and Louisville Times, Kentucky Center for the Arts, the Louisville arts community, and speeches made by Bingham. The collection also includes papers of Judge Robert Worth Bingham while he was Ambassador to the Court of St. James; papers of Colonel Robert Bingham, including several Civil War letters and a transcript of his diary kept in 1863 -4; genealogical material for the Bingham, Worth, Miller, and Hogg-Alves families; and material relating to and disputing books written about the family by David Chandler, Marie Brenner, Sallie Bingham, and Susan Tifft and Alex S. Jones. Financial, tax and trust files. The Barry Bingham portion of the collection is restricted. The Robert Worth Bingham and Colonel Robert Bingham material is not. For details concerning Open to researchers. contact the manuscript curator
- Ali, Muhammad, 1942-
- American newspapers-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- Berea College-- Archives.
- Brandt, Willy, 1913-
- Brown, John Young, 1900-1985-- Correspondence.
- Brown Hotel (Louisville, Ky.)
- Carter, Jimmy, 1924-
- Centre College (Danville, Ky.)-- Archives.
- Challenger (Spacecraft)
- Chandler, Happy, 1898--- Correspondence.
- Clark, Thomas Dionysius, 1903--- Correspondence.
- Cooper, John Sherman, 1901--- Correspondence.
- Courier-journal (Louisville, Ky.)
- Education-- Kentucky-- History-- Sources.
- Filson Club-- Archives.
- Flood, Charles Bracelan-- Correspondence.
- Frontier Nursing Service Inc.
- Germany-- Politics and government-- 1945-1990.-- Sources.
- Harm, Ray, 1928-
- Harvard University.
- Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973.
- Jones, Brereton-- Correspondence.
- Journalists-- Kentucky-- Correspondence.
- Kennedy, Rose Fitzgerald, 1890--- Correspondence.
- Kentucky-- Politics and government-- Sources.
- Muskie, Edmund S., 1914--- Correspondence.
- Pine Mountain Settlement School (Pine Mountain, Ky.)
- Shakers-- Kentucky-- Pleasant Hill-- History-- Sources.
- Rockefeller, John D. (John Davidson), 1937--- Correspondence.
- Roosevelt, Eleanor, 1884-1962.
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. (Franklin Delano), 1882-1945-- Correspondence.
- Stevenson, Adlai E. (Adlai Ewing), 1900-1965.
- United States-- Foreign relations-- 20th century-- Sources.
- United States-- History-- Civil War, 1861-1865-- Personal narratives.
- United States-- Politics and government-- 20th century-- Sources.
- University of Kentucky-- Archives.
- Vance, Cyrus R. (Cyrus Roberts), 1917--- Correspondence.
- Westmoreland, William C. (William Childs), 1914--- Correspondence.
- Presidents-- United States-- Election-- History-- Sources.
- Bingham, Robert., 1839-1926.
- Bingham, Robert Worth, 1871-1937.