0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Image 1 of Jeffersonian (St. Matthews, Ky.), April 11, 1974

Part of Jeffersonian (St. Matthews, Ky.)

.. . . f J J If" - ? : ! : . 'J 'V "''.:f I rf r,: ,;'q I vtSi5ScSS. April I v4 L ft U - J Q H v Jeffersontovn's newspaper since 1907 1974 - stories to tell your grandchildren .. A ferocious tornado dropped out of a grey and "'i' -- F blustery Jefferson County sky last Wednesday at 4:30 pm and tore a path of near-tota- l destruction across the East End from Cherokee Park to Glenview. In the estimated 15 minutes it took to rip its way through some of the state's wealthiest residential sections, the storm left at least 360 families homeless, another 1,300 homes damaged, four schools in shambles, five persons dead and dozens injured. It was the county's worst disaster since an 1890 tornado killed over 100. Many residents are still without elec-tricity and telephone service eight days later. Churning with winds estimated at from 200 to 300 miles an hour, the tornado moved at a speed of about 50 miles an hour northeast from Standi-forField across Bardstown Road, through Cherokee Park, Crescent Hill, Rolling Fields, Indian Hills, Notthfield i V 4 v - A. . V: '1 just north of Frankfort Avenue in Crescent Hill, bore the brunt of the storm's wrath. Each of the 26 homes pictured shows some sign of tornado PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, damage. i A disaster often is distant event written the newspaper. a in ville (, are throughout this issue. cj harried Ammermin saon!) altei thr stonn. in watched its approach as he list.-neto a ra lin in a first floor room of the church renter, "When I first spotted it, l a!l me annus downstairs and it W W"I'C there lor abnllt t.' a.mti He Storm damage brings water crisis By Sandy Hinton Stall Writer Wednesdays tornado missed but by Thursday morning, the (lly te (Is eft, .i ts. Hy 11 ::h) am I hurs lay, Jefferson-town'- s water supply was down to an emergency level, aci ordlng In water company manager Thomas A. Wlther-spooJeffer-sontow- n, n, "If Louisville (Water ( o.) has stayed off 15 more minutes Thursday morning, WO would havo been completely without water. All our tanks were empty and there was aUut 25 feet of water in the risers (largo plM' luudlnu to the tanks)," he said. Jeffersuntown ollcc went to the major water users, mostly In tin Uluegrass Industrial Park, and asked them to either close their business or l very conservative on water use, he said. No Java today "And excellent cooperation from everyone, Coatings Co., the largest unit, closed, anil someone told ine they didn't serve coffee ut the Hamada (hut morning. Fverjlxidy cooperated with the exception of unit company," Wlthursoon Nald, Ilo declined to name (ho company, Police contacted some merchants on the Town Square, asking them to close their businesses, but before that effort took effect, the emergency was over, When the electricity went oft Wednesday afternoon at 4:45 pm, there was 23 feet of water in the tanks, which we got Is normal for that time of the afternoon, he said. At 9 pm Wednesday, alarms were set to go off when the level reached 10 feet. The alarm went off between 6 and 7 am Thursday, he said, but at ll:l!j am, the telemeter quit registering, meaning all water was out of the timks, at emergency level, Witherspoon added. Water pressure at this time was at 40 IKiunds. Residents were getting only trickles from their faucets. Then, at 12:45 pm, Louisville started pumping again, so the crisis was over, Wlthersiioon said. "If we'd had a big fire (during the emergency period), it would have been disastrous. (Fire chief Robert H.) Caddie rigged up a pump at the sewer plant to fill up his tank truck. He would have had to haul the water," Witherspoon said. Sgt. Maynard Mattingly, who was acting police chief on Wednesday, said Incidents there were no police-relate- d In Jeffersontown during the period following the tornado. "When it hit, I got every man out. We got 100 percent participation, every car was on the road. We kept all the wagons (which are equipped for hospital runs) clear for any emergency run, wherever needed. "I told them even If they were called to St. Matthews or to Louisville or anywhere, go," Mattingly said. The principal duties of Jeffersontown police were to keep the traffic flowing during the three-hoelectrical blackout period Wednesday, and to patrol ur the streets. Mattingly said they contacted county police and offered assistance. The 12- - in Louisthe tor- nado warniui'.s early Wednesday alter-noo- u was J.tck Amnieim.m, director i event "I the Hill fluid; ei, s en- ter at 2H22 Frankfort Ave. As a result, the 25 or so children had lieen in ,i basement pla .ii.m of St. Mark's Fpiscopal (.'hll'vii he; o.'er an hi nr.' v. hen the wnt out and the tornado blew over, "It blew out the small, collar-t'.pwindows in the basemeat an nj; ears popped from the piessiire,'' said a Stories and pictures AS THE TORNADO crashed through Crescent Hill, it was photographed from Thierman Lane in St. Matthews by amateur photographer James Harrod. The storm did not have a clearly-definefunnel at this point, but winds at the base of the cloud were estimated at over 200 miles an hour. Harrod took the picture from the second floor of his apartment at 162 Thierman Lane, looking west over the St. Matthews fire station. Mark Thompson, a UL College student and photograpliur for The at home on 2749 Cliffwood, just off Grinsteart Drive when the tornado arrived. "I.ady, our dog had been frantic for atout an hour before it happened," he remembered. He had been listening to Wl.HS radio all afternoon, but had heard no warnings. At alxjut 4:30 lie was about to start out on his paper route when he saw the ( loud. He called his brother Alan to come out and look at it, ran upstairs for a camera, but never had a chance to take any pictures. As I was going back into the living room, ttie wind hurled a sofa across the room. We heard windows breaking, so we hit the floor and covered our heads with our hands. 'Then there was a calm period. We made It to the basement and huddled in a corner. I thought the whole house would fall In on us when I heard the foundation shift and saw soot falling, I heard a tree lall on the kitchen and heard others whip around the house as they gouged the weather boards and smashed windows. After the storm passed, they ran upreally couldn't stairs and saw believe. The whole concept of the neighborhood had vanished. Homes that used to rest in a grove of trees were in shambles an the trees were flattened, 'The girl across the street was screaming in horror and two doors away a family of four was climbing out of their roof because their house was hint; on its side." Amoni; the many peisoiii who heard and But last week, disaster came home. V and Glenview Heights before it lifted off to the east. This week it looked as if huge sections of Cherokee Park and Crescent Hill had been chopped to their knees. before it actually hit." The teachers and about 2a children huddled in the center of the room and were unhurt. As soon as it was safe, all moved upstairs to the dining room and a light supper was being served by candlelight until worried parents could collect their children. Immediately outside a tree had blown over crushing the second floor of Roy White's house at 110 12 Kennedy Court. White's framii home does not have a basement, so when he heard "things breaking' he ran from the second story closet where lie was changing clothes, grabbed their baby dauehter and ran downstairs to lie flat In the living-rooHe lay there for about five minutes until he felt it was safe to in jve. As White was dashing downstairs, their cat fled the doomed tree and made it indoors safely. Further west on Frankfort, on the fringe of the tornado's path, Earl Thompson was already sweeping up glass from his antique store windows, assisted by David about half an hour after the tornado struck. I heard an eerie, sound and went right for the basement," ! then Thompson said. wunt up to close the front door, but the wind came up and I ran back to the basement.-- I think that open door saved my store." m. high-pitch- Crescent Hill, the storm hit hai riest Pennsylvania Avenue, opposity the Louisville Water Company. Mrs. Charles Hess and her husband live at 123 Pennsylvania and today they believe in miracles. When the tornado rami.1, they barely had time to make it to the basement steps. Mis. Hess recalled: I was afraid we weren't going to live through it. My husband fell on top of me. I remember hearing the roar of the noise, the sounds of the twisting I w .isn't worried 1:1 dal and thing glass. about losim: my house, I just kept sayIn on ing, 'Liol save , God sive Us.' ' rooms were broken; cri ;'.e trees filled the back yard and landed on the two Hess cars. Several inches of In' iken possessions and glass covered the thiols. A two-- b beam was driven through a concrete W indow s in all 12 ix-inch wall. lish, made in fr.un aeration 'i '.viei'atior. was still intact. So were some precious vases. And the lie.s.s spirit lives. Th'.'.. w.ll I i tit a 174 an tamilv heirloom I h in le I down Continued to Page 6 inan force remained on standby all Wednesday night and Thursday. Most meetings and events scheduled for Wednesday evening were cancelled throughout the county. Hut, Jeffersontown police court was held in spite of the tornado occurlng onh hours earlier. Judge Raymond J. Ward appeared at city hull about 0:30 pm to conduct court. At 7:30 pin, by candlelight, court convened. Judge Ward, court clerk Mrs. Jerrie Kavich and prosecuting attorney I'aul Baker occupied desks In the office of City Hall and waited for those scheduled for court, to appear. "We only had two people show up," Judge Ward said, "one was a deferred payment and the other was fined on a ! - l Fifth-grader- f 4v m 4 fin r charge." He said letters were mailed to others who did not appear, requesting they attend court at the next regular session Monday, April 8. ' ;S 'v volunteer s boys at Jeffersontown Two fifth-graElementary School believe there are some small towns In the state ravaged by the tornado that have not received sufficient aid. So, Tommy Pace and Steve Bertram went to principal David Thompson last Friday and asked If they could set up a collection point at the school. Thompson said Oils week they have collected "quite a bit" of food, clothing and even some toys. During the middle of the week, they de Continued to Page 16 . ; ' am in T1T wrjm'.ft' MmmmwmBmmmmammmtmmtm s mmmmmmmuaik FIELDS, Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Adams Jr., trudge through debris rounding the wreckage of their home at 402 Rolling Lane. IN ROLLING sur- '

Hosted by the University of Kentucky

Contact us: