Collections: 
0-9 | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Image 4 of 2006 - Board of Regents Meeting Minutes.

Part of Murray State University Board of Regents Meeting Minutes.

item | thumbnails | details | text | pdf
4. . ‘ Graduate Total 1,697 Full—Time 534 ‘ Part-Time 1,163 Total Enrollment 10,304 Health Insurance On behalf of the faculty and staff at Murray State University, Dr. Miller expressed ` appreciation to the Board of Regents for the fringe benefits that are offered. One important thing · is health insurance and the University contributes a significant portion of our health insurance costs. Dr. Miller introduced Ms. Joyce Gordon, Associate Vice President for_Human Resources, who gave a report on health insurance. Ms. Gordon stated that three years ago she told the Board that the health cost was $1.4 million for the following year. There were drastic changes including the wellness piece. Two years later we had cut our health care costs to $430,000. We’ve got another good year. Our projections are that our cost will increase, total plan, by 4 percent which is about $264,000. As Dr. Miller indicated, the benefit package here at the University is something that is a very important piece of our compensation package because we subsidize families in our healthcare plan. This past year we passed all of the $430,000 in savings along to the employee and decreased their premium. This year they are going back up a very small amount in real dollars which is more telling than the percentages, it’s from 0 to no increase on employee only basic plan up to $14 on the richest full family plan and that is at $273. The cost of a top PPO full family plan is around $900. One of the points that Ms. Gordon made was that it is an institutional commitment and certainly supported by the Board of Regents for a number of years that the University continue to make health care very affordable for faculty and staff Of the $264,000, the University pays 75 percent leaving 25 percent for the employee. That’s where we get the rates established. Again, we are still less than they were back to 2004. The University will be covering about 81 percent of the health care cost. Murray State is self insured. Anthem is the administrator that processes the claims and the University reinsures in a stop-loss capacity for anything over $100,000. Ms. Gordon further added that the University has ramped up the wellness effon across campus. That even includes the students because it is an issue of lifestyle. While the students are not on our health care plan, with the new Recreation and Wellness Center that is something that we have been able to do. We have a Health 189 wellness class taught by Dr. Corky Broughton. We also have a Wellness Coordinator who is taking us to the next level. We have health fairs and health screenings that are of no cost to the individual. We have about 250 faculty and staff who are taking the Health 189 class for 1 hour credit. It is growing by leaps and bounds and we are thrilled with that many individuals taking the class. General Studies Dr. Miller indicated that Dr. Strieter had asked for an update on the University Studies Commission. Dr. Miller introduced Provost Gary Brockway to give the report. ln 2002 the University passed the Strategic Plan and a part of that plan was an affirmation l of the Characteristics of a Murray State Graduate which are clearly delineated and posted · throughout the campus on posters and in all of our publications. We use those characteristics as a major part of our Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) accreditation process, specifically in the quality enhancement plan. We did that in 2004 and were successful in having that accepted and having our SACS accreditation reaffirmed as well. We must demonstrate to the SACS accrediting body that we are meeting the Characteristics of the Murray State Graduate and we have a full plan in place. A major way these characteristics are accomplished is through the curriculum. Last fall a commission for university studies was appointed which determines the general education courses that every undergraduate student must complete along with their major and minor. These are often referred to as the liberal arts. This Commission is broad- based, 25 plus members, made up of faculty, alumni, students throughout the University and l l

Hosted by the University of Kentucky

Contact us: kdl-help@kdl.kyvl.org

Contributors: